The 24 Group is an all-volunteer nonprofit organization based in Indianapolis that seeks to inform and educate on the topic of addiction and recovery via its online presence and community events around Central Indiana. Fundraising efforts provide grants to local addiction treatment and recovery support providers to help young adults with limited financial resources achieve sobriety and sustain their early recovery efforts.
The 24 Group was founded in 2006 by a group of parents who came together with the common experience of a loved one struggling with the disease of addiction. The name of the organization was selected in memory of David Manlove, the son of founding board members Kim and Marissa Manlove who wore number 24 on his baseball jersey in high school. The hawk used in the logo is a symbol chosen by the Manloves to remind them of the spirit of David – a symbol that in Native American tradition is the messenger between heaven and earth.
- Addiction is a chronic brain disorder and as such should carry no social shame or stigma.
- There is effective treatment for addiction and recovery is possible for anyone.
- Treatment and recovery support should be available to all regardless of socio-economic status or access to insurance.
- We believe that recovery is possible and is the ultimate goal for those affected by substance use disorder.
- There are many pathways to recovery; someone is in recovery when they say they are in recovery.
- Staying connected with a treatment and recovery program enhances chances of long-term success.
- Family education and support enhances treatment effectiveness and success for the adolescent/young adult.
- Addiction is a family disease; parents and other family members need their own treatment and support to achieve and maintain recovery from the devastating effects of this disease.
Board of Directors
- Albert J. Allen, MD, PhD
- Betsy Backe
- Benjamin Gonzales
- Angie Lorenzano Kiplinger
- Kim I. Manlove
- Marissa Manlove
- Joel A. Schneider
- Michael Shaw
- Stacey M. Totten
- Julie Johnson-Unwin
- Brian Unwin
- Mark A. Urban
The 24 Group believes that recovery is the ultimate goal for those affected by substance use disorder. But what is recovery? According to SAMHSA, recovery is
“A process of change through which individuals improve their health and wellness, live a self-directed life, and strive to reach their full potential.”
To maximize ongoing recovery, support must be provided in all four dimensions of recovery: home, health, purpose, and community. At The 24 Group, we know how critical each of these components are in an individual’s ongoing recovery.
For many, it is difficult to access these resources and they are rarely reimbursed by health insurance. That is why The 24 Group funds grants to support young people in early recovery and insure they receive adequate recovery support services.